Veterinary Registration in Australia and New Zealand

To register as a veterinarian in Australia or New Zealand, your qualification must appear in the Qualifications Generally Recognised document. You may register directly with the veterinary board in the jurisdiction in which you wish to work.

If your qualifications do not enable you to apply for registration without further examination, you may either:

  • enrol at an Australasian veterinary school and complete the accredited veterinary program


  • you may sit the Australasian Veterinary Examination (AVE). The AVE has been developed to assist veterinarians who qualified overseas to obtain registration in Australia or New Zealand. The examination ensures that eligible overseas veterinarians meet the standards required to practise in Australia and New Zealand.

If you are registered as a veterinarian in one Australian jurisdiction, but wish to practise in another state or territory, find out more here.


For a general overview of registering and working as a veterinarian in Australia, read our Veterinary Science in Australia booklet for overseas veterinarians.

If you intend to migrate to Australia or New Zealand, you should first contact your nearest Embassy, Consulate or High Commission for information about migration processes and requirements for assessment of your qualifications. 

Please note that AVBC does not provide information about how to migrate to Australia or New Zealand.